Wednesday, March 30

My fellow patients

My 4 weeks in 2 hospitals put me in contact with many interesting people; my fellow patients.(all male because I was in the male ward). Here are some memorable ones, all described as I see them and not intended to make fun of anyone :)

Mr Long Nails - He was bought in a near-comatose state with wide unblinking eyes. It seems like he stays alone, his only contact with the outside world is his wife who lives separately and only brings him food. I think he has dementia because of his neglected appearance; his toe nails curl around like 5cm, long unkept beard and dry dull skin. Anyway, after a period of drip, he came out of his comatose state. His wife dont seem to care too much for him, prefering to sit with her back facing him.

Mr. No-drink-plain-water - He had a mild stroke which the doctor said is a "warning stroke". This guy really got strong constituent. His wife complained to everyone that he doesn't drink plain water; only drinks flavoured fluid, chain smoke, can finish a bottle of XO at one go all by himself and a total anti-vegetarian. He looks like in his late 60s and apparently his genetic make-up is serving him well! He was up and away after a few days, to the amazement of the doctor.

Mr 10-kids - Isnt it great to have lots of kids to take turns to look after you when u are ill? One of the daughters seem to take a liking to me even in my present depleted condition :)

Mr Come-visit-me - He spends his time calling his friends to inform them that he is in the hospital; asking them to visit him. Kind of sad, eh?

Mr M - my room mate in one of the ward, we shared some personal issues. He seems to be relieved to know that he is not the only guy to cry over his medical problem. I assured him I did :) On top of his medical problems, he have lots of other personal issues burdening him. I feel for him.

Mr Leave-me-alone - The flipside of having lots of relatives visiting you is having lots of unsolicited well-intentioned advice given to you. He had a by-pass and had to endure streams of relatives telling him to do this, do that, should do this, shouldnt do that...should see how they instruct him during meal times....poor guy! I have no problem with his numerous relatives because there are lots of hot-looking babes doting over him, so I have some nice visual distraction ;)

Mr Strong and Brave - I thought I had it bad, but this guy got TWO tubes sticking from his back, one from each lung to drain the effusion away. I have difficulty sleeping because of the pain of just one tube from the side of my body, he has two from his BACK!

It's a wonder how he can lie down and sleep. It's not easy because I can hear him groaning most of the time. He got only one functioning lung but he still maintain a cheerful face, with his wife steadfast beside him all the time. This guy is an inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home