Tuesday, April 12

Caring for the caregiver

When we visit someone who is ill, we usually focus only on that person. Forgotten is the person who cares for the ill one.

The person who stayed up late and wake up early to care for the patient. The person who worries about giving the correct medication. The person who endured tantrums from the patient. The person who put aside his or her work, aspirations and ambitions just to care for the one they love. The person who gave up their own dreams. Always invisible and under appreciated.

My sister has been this person since 2002. She cared for my late father who fell ill first, then my late grandmother and then my mom. Now she is caring for me. She was a staff nurse before resigning to dabble in business. She is at her best networking for business and talking to customers. Now she is our family's primary caregiver.

Today my sis and I had a shouting match. It is just because she tried to substitute a medication. I refused to accept any change,and she said she has done this before for grandma. We were both under stress and shouting ensued. Yes, it is not always nice and cosy between the cared and the caregiver. I must say the pressure and stress is more on the caregiver; all attention is given to the ill one but the feelings and welfare of the caregiver is often forgotten.

Sorry, sis...sometimes I just can't control my temper. Sometimes my pain makes me unable to calmly state my views. I become impatient and just want to push my views. But I want you to know you are NUMBER ONE in my heart.

So, people, the next time you visit a friend or relative who is unwell, spare sometime to talk to the family members or the caregiver. Give him or her some encouragement and most of all...acknowledgement of their work.

OK now, make me some carrot juice, sis!!! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home