Tuesday, April 12

Bone Scan

The bone scan was done at the Nuclear Medicine Centre, National Cancer Society of Malaysia. My sis, bro-in-law, mom and Mr Lee Kiyau Loo accompanied me. The centre is a very professional set-up run by an NGO. There is one doctor, a receptionist and a scanner technician. The whole place is run very smoothly with this skeletal staff. The scanner technician does everything from injecting the radionuclide, preparing the patient for scanning, the scan itself and announcing the scan result to the patient. He should be in his lates 50s. His name is Johnny and it is so apt with his 1960s glistering hair creamed, swept back hairstyle. Wop-de-wop!

At 10.20am, Johnny tried to give me the injection thru my left hand, but somehow my blood pushed into the syringe! He was taken aback, and tried on the right, the radionuclide went in smoothly.I was to wait for 2 hours before the radionuclide flushes thru my whole body. At 12.15pm, I was asked to pee, and to go to the scanning room and lie down on the scanner. The scan was done in 15 minutes. I waited half an hour for the result.

The result? Awful...

The report stated: There are multiple foci of increased tracer accumulation involving the left scapula, multiple bilateral ribs, distal left humerus, multiple thoracic and lumbar vertebrae, left sacro-illiac joint, left iliac wing and right iscium. These are consistent with multiple bone metastasis. Impression: Multiple bone metastasis.

Yup, pure awful shit. I thought the bone cancer is just confined to my C6 cervical vertebrae. Now it seems the scourge has spread to many parts of my bone structure. If I got this type of result last month, I would have bawled myself hoarse, but this time, I just acknowledged it with Mr Lee beside me. My sis who saw it later also don't have much reaction. Somehow we are just not shocked anymore. The speed which this cancer spread is something we have accepted. My sis and I just knew we just have to roll our sleeve up for some tough work ahead. Let's see what Dr Kana of NCI Cancer Hospital will say now with this new outlook.

The good thing about this trip to the centre in KL from my home is: I didnt cough in the whole car journey! :) aaaa...thank you for little mercies :)))

Info about bone scan at http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=151

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home