Thursday, June 23

"Chicken" Rice

My mom, nephew and I had lunch at Jannie's restaurant. A hilarious thing happened with our lunch order today.

Jannie's menu has "Vegan Chicken Rice", and coincidently today's special is "Hainanese Chicken Rice"...with real chicken! Jannie's restaurant is NOT a vegetarian restaurant but an organic one.

Anyway, I proceed to order "chicken rice' thinking it would be the vegan one. The staff taking order is a foreign worker, I guess not that proficient in English, and I didn't realise that there are two chicken rice choices.

The "chicken rice" came. I was puzzled because it is curry chicken; Hainanese chicken rice is steamed chicken. Anyway, since I can't take spicy food, I ate only a small piece of what I thought is vegan chicken-look-and-taste-alike. Wow I said...it really taste like chicken!!!! It even got bone-like stucture!!!!

My mom said maybe Jannie has attached real chicken bones to the vegan chicken, we had a laugh. I continue to munch on the chicken and continue to say wow...this is really like chicken, what effort they put into making it taste and look like real chicken, it even has bones!!!

My nephew took my bowl of chicken curry and ate one, and he said this IS chicken! My mom ate hers and said...hej, this IS chicken!!!

People, it IS chicken...hahaha

Anyway, other than chicken rice, we also ordered Hokkien mee and fried rice, and they are all delicious. The cosy restaurant was packed during lunch time. We will be back, and I MUST have the VEGAN chicken rice! ;)