Friday, November 11

Grieving and Rejoicing

I am not being frivolous; trying to make death and dying light-hearted. I do want to share the notion that managing death should be something as acceptable as birth and living; not to something feared and averted.

Someone dies; we will grieve, yes, of course. The things we missed about that person. Things unsaid, undone; things which we thought we should have done better or should have said.

That is why death is something we should constantly keep in mind. Our family and friends should be ready for us to go at anytime. We talk to them about eventualities. What we want our family and friends to do when we die. How we can prepare them. Talk to them.

Friends, let me tell you what I would expect from you if I die tomorrow.

I expect you to grieve, of course...

But I would prefer it to be a very very brief grieving.

I prefer to know that you remember me fondly with a smile. The times we share. The challenges we face. The comfortable feeling when we are together.

I want you to remember me that way, which means I have to work on getting that way now! I will be a good son, a good brother, a good cousin, a good uncle, a good nephew and a great friend now.

When I die, and as you gaze upon my serenity (ahem), you can’t help but smile when you recall the good and bad times we had together