Thursday, June 23

Can we all just live in harmony?

One of the books I refer to is the book by father of Macrobiotics; Michio Kushi titled "The Macrobiotic Approach to Cancer".

There is one paragraph which I don't quite understand for sometime. The paragraph is in the section titled "The role of love in healing". The idea in this section is the basis for my concept in regaining my health, which I have blogged in the posting titled "Gore and Love".

The approach is opposite of the typical response to cancer; to treat cancer cells are enemies to be destroyed. The mindset is war and fear. I don't want to think of my body to be a battleground, things are bad enough as it is!

Cancerous cells are cancerous not due to their own free will. And these are OUR cells. They turned malignant because of some mistakes we did, our lifestyle choice, or something happened to us which we have no control over. It is not the fault of the original cells.

The section then come to his paragraph(pg 18-21):

"In the macrobiotic view, the body's immune response is based on the process of natural attracion and harmony that is found throughout the universe. The antibiodies secreted by immune cells actually complement and make a balance with cancer cells, viruses or other potentially harmful substance. Antibodies have an opposite polarity to these cells and neutralize their extreme or excessive qualities, thus keeping the body in a state of healthy equilibrium. In other words, the immune response is a process of natural harmony, not war. When we are healthy, the immune system functions effeciently and we remain free of sickness. When our overall condition deteriorates, the immune system loses the ability to neutralize these substances and we become sick."

Quite difficult to digest the above para,at least for me. I take it to mean that even if the cancer is not cured, but there is a way to live in harmony with the cancer cells; to maintain an equilibrium where the person can have a life of quality while the tumour is still within the body.

When Chiew Kieok visited me with Agnes and Pai Ling, she recalled a relative who talked with her tumor to strike a deal. Mr Lim also mentioned about talking to the cancer cells not as enemies but something that resides within our selves, and something to live with. I also mentioned that I can negotiate with the cancer cells by saying..."hej, look..if I go, you go too!"

But one important thing is; attention must not only be given to the the cancer cells. Our healthy cells must also be acknowledged, lest they feel neglected and throw tantrums! So we must also talk to our healthy cells, thank them for the fortitude and loyalty! Make them feel good and pamper them.

Hmmm...I am sounding like a politician...or maybe I am just your typical smooth operator ;)