Wednesday, January 4

Voodoo death from cancer

Cancer death from voodoo; first came across this reference in one of Dr Chris Teo's book.

Indeed, when we hear of someone had been affliated with cancer, we immediately think that death is imminenet; not "if" but "when". Cancer patients are also very sensitive about any changes in their body.

Patients of broken bones, flu or other "known" non-terminal diseases, are confident that they are on the way to recovery even if their health dips during their healing journey. But for many cancer patients, any changes in their body; be it a small one like insomnia, a relatively big one like pain or a major one like the discovery of a new tumour, the patient will most probably goes into a depression, thinking that it's the beginning of the end...again!

Cancer patients are sensitive people, jumping whenever there is a change in their health status. Why did this come about? I agree with Dr Teo that a voodoo spell has been cast on society; cancer means death!!!

But is this so? For a majority of cases, it may be so, but healing is such a mysterious event. I read many cases where patients of similar stage respond differently.

We really have to cast off this voodoo spell; and embrace the notion that cancer is not an imminent death sentence. This would really lift a major source of stress from the healing journey.

OK, I know this is easier said than done, when you see the fear and pity in the eyes of people surrounding you; friends and relatives. They too are victim of the voodoo spell.

Today, I had a excruciating pain in my right leg. It is so painful I can't sleep last night. It developed suddenly last night and continues today. I was hobbling and was on a wheelchair this morning at NCI. And the ride to and from NCI was the longest journey in my life at the pain stabs me during the whole route. I was moaning in pain most of the time.

I am able to blog now because the doctor prescribed a powerful painkiller which I took when I reached home.

But it is really difficult to talk about "mind over matter" when such throbbing pain assaults you. I tried, before the hospital, to use imagery to overcome the pain, I am afraid my disipline fails me. Can't keep up the concentration with the pain banging my consciousness.

Of course, I also begin to think that this is a sign that Messrs Death is beckoning and I better wrap up whatever loose ends... :)

I will need to get an x-ray done tomorrow and the NCI oncologists will presribe a strategy then. For now it's painkillers and Iressa to maintain my sanity and dignity.

Depending on my condition, my blog may be idle for awhile while I overcome this new valley, and cast off the voodoo spell....