Monday, December 26

Inspire (or how to be a good visitee)

I try to put my visitors immediately at ease by cracking a joke the moment our eyes meet. When asked how am I, I do convey my actual situation but put a positive spin on it. But if I am not in an optimistic mood, I do tell those who can handle it. These are close friends whom I know can handle it.

How to be a good visitee? (sorry for this horrible word...hehe)

I still remember when my friends converged in Seremban Hospital, when the cancer diagnosis was first known. I cried in front of my friends. I still remember the sadness and look of helplessness on their faces. I also remember saying something positive and the room atmosphere lighthen up.

We all want to see hope. We embrace positiveness but it has to come from the heart. No use proclaiming we will heal when deep down we think we are not going to make it. Getting to the decision to heal is something we have to do on our own.

But I do try to make every visit a healing opportunity. Lighten up. Laugh. Inspire yourself and your visitors. Let it be at the end of the visit, you have healed a little bit, and your visitor was inspired by your spirit, and both you have raised hopes.

Even if death is inevitable, why make things worse? Death is a great opportunity to appreciate the time left, and show that the human spirit is inconquerable in death. Anyway, death is a natural process of life so why be afraid or fight it.