Monday, February 6

Mom to cousin

Yesterday, two of my UPM friends shared a remarkable side of my life.

My cousin and her husband came to visit me. She is very much my senior, the age difference is decades. Her eldest son is the same age as me. They arrived at the same time when two of my UPM friends were visiting me.

My biological dad has died when I was a few months old, and my biological mom was very unwell because of her gallbladder problem, she eventually died after 10 years due to this ailment. So me and my 6 other siblings were under the care of my mother's brother and his wife. It is to ease the burden for my recently widowed and sickly mother.

One day, a couple came to visit my mother's brother family. The husband of the visiting couple is the uncle of my mother's brother's wife. Bear with me, I know the family ties sounds convoluted!

I was there at the time. A tiny tot of 8 months old, crawling in the dirt and putting sand into my mouth. I crawled up to the visiting couple and climbed on the legs of the husband. Mr Foo picked me up and cuddled me, and I felt asleep immediately on his strong warm right shoulder. Mr and Mrs Foo were so touched that they decided to adopt me there and then. Hey, I was very charming even then!!! :)

That is how my could-be foster mom became my cousin! An elevation of my status! And that was how I became a part of the Foo family.

So yesterday as I see my "cousin" and adopted mom sitting side-by-side, I wondered at the remarkable outcome from the throw of life's dice!