Saturday, March 18

Breathless

9 Mar Thursday afternoon
Went to the bathroom, came back to bed with growing breathelessness. Called Dr Selva to report. NCI tried to arrange ambulance, but ambulance can only come an hour later. Tried to arrange in Seremban.

A series of errors and misjudgements ended us up with the ambulance of the Seremban General Hospital. I wanted to go directly to NCI but the ambulance had to send me to the Seremban GH for admission before they can transfer me to NCI.

Admitted to Sban GH. Doctors tried to stabilise me. OK. Breathlessness subsided. Tried to get independent ambulances to send me directly to NCI but not one ambulance was available. I really don't like the idea of spending a night admitted to the 3rd class ward of a public hospital. I have taken care of my dad several times in this ward and it is not a cheerful place at all...

9 Mar Thursday night
After spending sometime at the emergency centre, they wheeled me into the 3rd ward; citing that this is procedure; I had to be admitted before they can transfer me. And there is no independent ambulance available. I was thinking I should have waited for the NCI one-hour wait for ambulance or just hop into our own car.

Anyway, was admitted into the 3rd class ward. That's another blog by itself.

9 Mar Thursday night and 10 Mar Friday early morning
Doctors came, took tests, diagnoses me. The senior medical officer said he can't transfer me at my current condition; breathless, low oxygen in blood, low blood pressure & generally all system not stable. He has an ethical responsibility to stabilise me before handing me over to NCI. So I have to stay overnight. I thought that's very noble, but heck I want to be in NCI now!!!

Thru the night I had several episode of horrid breathlessness. You better believe when people say u can go without food or drinks for several days, but without air for mere seconds???? I felt like there is a concrete wall blocking my access to air. Some invisible hand pressing on my nostrils.

It was so bad that at one time I looked out the window of the 7th floor ward and contemplated jumping to end this misery.

The breathelessness came and go periodically. Can't fully describe the desperate situation.

Doctors came. They wanted to do more tests and one x-ray. I said NO!!! what's the point. we all know what I am having. All my records are with NCI anyway. Doctors were sympathetic and promised I will be transferred as soon as my condition stabilises.

10 Mar Friday morning
Daybreak came. I greet the morning with relief. Oh, let me out of here! I want to go to NCI!! They are waiting for me!!!

The doctor said I am ready to go. He made calls to NCI. Can't seem to reach them. They need NCI firm consent to transfer me before they can arrange for an ambulance. A doctor I know when when I was first diagnosed with cancer at the Sban GH came to my aid. He uses his own handphone to try make contact with NCI doctors.

10 Mar Friday noon
Finally,contact made between NCI and GH! Ambulance arranged. Wheeled out past noon.

10 Mar Friday afternoon
Reached NCI around 3pm. Dr Selva was waiting. Wheeled into ward. Dr Kana and Dr Ben were there. Battery of tests and relieve methods was administered. Not sure what are causing the breathlessness. On oxygen mask and drip. A flurry of activities in my room.

Dr Selva advised my sister to prepare for any eventualities...

One by one possible causes eliminated. I am so glad it was not pericardium effusion. Finally Dr Selva conceded it could be a series of causes building on each other. The chemo may have loosen some tumours and causing them to float in my lungs with periodic breathelessness. And my earlier instability has also weaken me...

10 Mar Friday evening
Situation stabilises. I didnt had a drink or food since Thursday afternoon. Lips felt dry like farmland in drought; dry, sharp, cracking and flaking.

...to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home