Wednesday, March 8

A stroll in the park...with shoes off...

Monday 6 March
The first day of my chemo sessions. Two combination; Etoposide and Cisplatin. Cisplatin need lots of saline intraveneously (IV). This is to flush out the cisplatin when it is administered and before. So lots saline were IVed, I think 3 litres. The doctors expected me to extract all these fluid with urination but it didnt happen. I also did not take this "extraction" seriously.

Then it happened.

I suffered mega breathlessness after a slight exertion from my bed. The doctors scrambled to get me to urinate to relieve the fluid's pressure on my lungs and heart; which they say is the cause of my breathlessness. They were cool and were confident that my breathlessness will go away. I was panicky and wondered how long this choking breathlessness will go away.

I started to urinate and indeed the breathlessness tapered off. The extra fluid were putting a pressure on my lungs and heart. I was also on oxygen and nebulizzer to relieve the congestion. After a torturous 1 hour my breathing resumed to normal.

The doctors decided there will be a change in plans for that day. I will only get the Etoposide chemo and not Cisplatin.

After given 3 injections to ameliorate side effects of chemo such as nausea. The Etoposide were injected and started to course thru my body around 6pm. It went well. In the end I did not get any of the sideeffects I was afraid off.

Slept with some minor coughing bouts.

Tuesday 7 March
Woke up with rashes on my back after sleeping with a wet shirt. I was put on some lighted heating device to relieve the rashes. The doctors decided to give me also only Etoposide for today and decide on the other combination later. Most probably they will take Cisplatin off, and give be Carboplatin which does not need saline flushing. But for today only Etoposide. Again I took it well. No problem, hardly noticed the 2 hours passing.

Wednesday 8 March
Woke up again with rashes again. Slight pain on the skin, again put on the heating device. Today I am put on Etoposide and Carboplatin. Again, no problem. Smooth sailing.

This is it. A summary of my short chemo adventure. A stroll in the park actually, but with the shoes off so I have to look out for some possible mishaps, just like strolling in a park barefooted with the probable encounter with jagged stones or dog poo...haha ;)

The doctors prescribed my with steroid and anti nausea pills for use when I am home. Will see Dr Kana this Friday to see how I am coping. Next sessions will be in 3 weeks time the same with 3 injections of 3 days each, followed by a final session 3 weeks after the 2nd one.

Again, I thank all who have emailed and contacted with words of encourement! Tomorrow I will blog more with deeper insights.

Bye, see you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home