Friday, April 14

5 Stages of Grief

I was watching an episode of The Simpsons the other day. Homer was given 24 hours to live after he ate what was purportedly poorly prepared Fugu dish. I was reminded about the 5 Stages of Grief when Homer went thru all 5 stages in 5 seconds in his physician's office. :)

The 5 Stages of Grief after receiving a traumatic news are:
1-Denial-"this can't be happening to me"
2-Anger-"why me?"
3-Bargaining-bargaining often takes place before the loss.Begging, wishing, praying.
4-Depression-overwhelming feelings of hopelessness, frustration, bitterness, self pity, mourning loss hopes, dreams and plans for the future. Feeling lack of control, feeling numb. Perhaps feeling suicidal.
5-Acceptance-there is a difference between resignation and acceptance. You have to accept the loss, not just try to bear it quietly. Our goals turn toward personal growth.

Sometimes one don't go thru that 5 stages in that sequence, or may backtrack in the stages or even miss some stages. I am now mostly in stage 5. I have mostly in early after the diagnosis asked "why me", not in anger but in trying to find a cause. A dash of self pity occasionally.

I always stop if I slipped into the bargaining stage because I thought that's pathetic. I heard of some terminally-ill patients who recovered when they made deals with God or themselves to do charity work if they recover. That's not for me. But if it works for others, more power to them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home