Monday, April 10

Carpe Diem real life

On Saturday, I walked the longest distance in two months. I walked to the neighbourhood 7-11 and back at 6am, I think a total of 1 km. I was a bit exhausted but happy at the end. Got some snacks from 7-11 and nasi lemak from Al-Shafi restaurant besides it.

I also learnt something else.

I have always been surrounded by people who know my condition. Family, friends and medical staff. They are symphatetic and always try to bring me comfort and be gentle with me. It is easy to be nice to them in return too.

But what about people outside this community of comfort?

At the 7-11 store, I lingered for a long time to catch my breath. One of the 7-11 staff, I think became suspicious if I am looking for opportunity to shoplift. That was my thought when he asked me in what I thought is in a heavy handed manner if I need anything. I said I am looking around, and he retorted that once looked must buy. By instinct, I became quite upset and gave him a verbal lashing for treating a potential customer so shabbily. Oh boy, although I am physically dilipidated but my verbal defense skills are still top notch..haha

So he retreated. Then I remembered my Carpe Diem aspiration. I realised that I should be alert and spread goodwill, not add more misery to the world! So I apologised to the staff for my part, and explained to him why I was lingering so long. I also realised I do look like a drug addict with my dilipidated condition and ill-fitting clothing. If he is heavy handed, well, it is up to me to choose my response, and not to assume that he meant ill. It is up to me to respond to any situation. There is an option.

So that was a good lesson for me. There are people out there with issues of their own, and those who will treat me like any other; don't always expect the gentle handling as if from friends and family! Be alert to my own habits, instinct and reactions!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quote:
"If he is heavy handed, well, it is up to me to choose my response,...."

Wow..., that sort of "hit" me in the face. I'd always grumbled or shoot back at those whom are not polite to me (as a customer).

Now i realise i must be more mindful in choosing my response. Thank you......

3:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home