Wednesday, June 1

...day by day, in everyway, I am getting better, better and better...

Wed 1 June
Woke up after the short sleep but felt much better. Looks like Iressa is doing its stuff. I would say Dr Yong's treatment is helping too, but I think conventional medication like Iressa works best and faster in cases in this. Well, it better be because it is costing a fortune!

Alternatively walked and wheeled outside. Now I am learning to adapt to the limited breathing space. Just a bit of distance each day, and stuff I used to do without breathing problem, now has to done in limited quantity first, just to test how far I can go.

Sat in the sunlight. It's been some time since my skin met the sun. Sat for awhile and read The Star.Some construction going on in front of house; bad fumes,walked back into the house. Felt good to have some sweat from the sunshine. Bathed and loofah-ed till the skin's red...uhhhhh...shiok nye!!!

Still a bit light-headed but can walk longer distance. I told Dr Yong over the phone about this, she prescribed some Chinese medication to alleviate, Mr Wong went out to get the medication. We talked about the China trip, and things are indeed looking very different from the initial plan.

Cousin Beo Tee and wife bought mom back from her overnite away. She is very cheerful. Thanks, cousin! :)

Had to have a short rest after conversing for sometime. But recovered faster now.

In the evening, Ling Ling called from Bonn. Thanks, Ling Ling. Hope your family recover fast from the illness, especially your kids. Lawa la anak anak you tu, pandai la orang tua dia orang campuk benih...kakaka! Thanks to you and family for the card, and please convey my thanks also to your sisters Claris, Yvonne and her husband Billy for their thoughtfulness.

Today did a new project. Since my quest for doctors, medication and treatment are narrowing at this moment in time. Ah Wei and I made a schedule of my food and medication schedule. Used my favourite method of Post-It notes on the whole door for my daily schedule. Only thing to fill up now is the Chinese medication. This schedule will help everyone in the family to assit me in keeping to my diet and medication.

Hokayyyy...it's 9pm now..will do some reading, reflection and meditation, (and no more brushing teeth from the bed..hah!)and let's see how well I can sleep tonite...

Tues 31 May
Feeling better.

Dr Foo Yuen Cheng, my ACS classmate, dropped by on his way to his clinic. Had a very useful but too short a discussion, because I get breathless if converse for too long a time. Thanks for the tips, Dr Foo :)

Mr Wong and I also discussed about the China trip. Some changes coming. Major ones. Realised that Mr Wong, Dr Yong, Yuen Fong and Dino hold daily discussion about my condition...wow...people, thank you for all your concern. Dr Yong could not come today but in touch with Mr Wong to check on my condition.

Felt better today. Bathed on my own. Saved energy by not walking all the time, long distance on a wheelchair. Can't sleep but not tired. Slept only for 3 hours. Not good. Night sweat getting lesser; Dr Yong has given herb to lessen these night sweats.

3rd Uncle, aunty and cousin Beo Tee and family came today. 3rd Aunty could not get down from the car because of her weak legs, and I can't walk to the car...sigh...I dearly want to meet 3rd Aunty. She is my favourite aunty for all the fun memories at their home in Tampin. When I was a small kid, I look forward to spend Chinese New Years at Grandpa's house.

3rd Aunty is the Chief Chef who cooks up a storm. Who can ever forget all the scrumptious food? And her CNY cookies and cakes have no parallel. My favourite is her keropok...no plain keropok (prawn crackers) from her..uh huh..her tasty fragrant keropok are whirlpool-styled coloured in various hues. Her kuih koci and other nyonya and Chinese cookies were never in short supply.

Our family will order several tins of her goodies to take back home for our visitors and also for ourselves; and I always eye visitors with anxiety each time they crunch on 3rd Aunty's keropok. Each keropok they consume is one less for me...hehehe :)

Of course, nothing can take away the joyful memories of waking up in Grandpa's house to the smell of burning firewood and fresh local kopi in the kitchen; the sight of fruit trees and the sound of quacking ducks and squawking chickens (the smell of fresh free-range poultry's "stuff" do has its charm too ;)...really), and the anticipation of daytime fun,food, angpows and nightime orgy of more fun, firecrackers and more angpows.

I remember once I made a Duck Disneyland at Grandpa's house. I dug a little pond with slides, castles other fun structures (or so I thought) for the ducks. I then invited a family of mama duck and her ducklings to the Duck Disneyland. I personally carry the ducklings to slide into pond (er..actually a wooden plank into a shallow small sandy hole with muddy water).

I never figured out at that time why the little ducklings and their mom don't quite share my enthusiasm for this exclusive custom-built theme park. I was quite disappointed when this particular duck family waddle away in terror everytime they see me again.

I wish 3rd Aunty well in her coming surgery, and hope to see you again.

Beo Tee was here to fetch Mom to Putrajaya for Dad's pension transfer processing. The process took a long time and she went on to stay with cousin Beo Key in KL to make a return trip to Putrajaya tomorrow. Good turn of events, 3rd Uncle family took mom for outings which she has not done for a long time.

Beo Key's wife bought mom a new dress. Mom went to 2 shopping malls...boy was she overjoyed. Of course she is also able to spend time with her 3rd brother and wife catching up with old times. Thanks to all...

Mon 30 May
4th Iressa. Weak in the morning, but progressively better by evening; total opposite from yesterday where morning was good but downhill by evening. Felt like emerging from the abyss.

Dino came in the afternoon with 3 assistants and a friend; Jess. Met Jess when she was working with Gurmit. She will be going to the Tao Centre too. Talked with Dino for awhile. But got tired quickly again. Dr Yong could not come today.

Got very much better by evening. Had slight diarrhea, was purging every hour by late night, I was thinking; "Oh damn, don't let me have this when things are getting better!" By midnite, sent nephew Ah Wei out to 7-11 to get Poh Chai Yuen the good old Chinese pills for diarrhea. As soon I saw the pills, the diarrhea stopped. Talk about natural healing...hahaha.

Sun 29 May
Took 3rd Iressa. Felt better. Walked to front door did Qiqong. Like hero walked back and forth the house. Amboi, eksyen nye! But weakening by noon.

Mrs McCoy came in the afternoon. Such a joy to meet you again...thanks. But I can't talk much because I was very tired.

Late afternoon walked just a few paces and breathlessness hit. Ms Thong came and called out "Hej, leng chai("handsome" in the Cantonese dialect)!" but all she see is a sweating profusely definitely-not-leng-chai gasping for breath on the bed. Sis and mom beside me holding my hands.

The supplied oxygen took some time to take effect because its my lungs that's refusing to cooperate. Recovered after a while. A puddle of sweat from the breathing effort. I stink..yup..I really do...My sis wiped and cleaned my up. My sis did not attend the Organic Exhibition. Sorry, sis.

Mr Wong & Dr Yong came in the evening. Did meridien massage and Qi. No acupucture. Too weak for that. Dr Yong agree with NCI about postponing China trip. She also advised to go slow and conserve energy.

Sat 28 May
Very weak. Gasping for air most of time but was glad for Mom, sis, Mariam, Dr Yong and the oxygen supply. Took the 2nd Iressa.

Staff Nurse Mariam, one of my sister's best friends came to take care of me. It's because my sis wants to visit an Jabatan Pertanian's organic produce exhibition; to build her business contacts. But my condition kept her in the house till evening, so she abandoned her plans, maybe tomorrow...

Mariam is a very good nurse. She did all the tender stuff you expect from a good nurse and heavy stuff like helping me get up from the bed. Thanks, Mariam for your TLC.

Gawd, I hate it when every single exertion brings about breathlessness. Things that you took for granted has now to be planned and strategised. I am resting most of the time, can't exert myself too much. Even brushing teeth is a nightmare; can't brush the lower teeth before breathless hits and have to rush back to my bed for the oxygen supply.

Have to brush teeth from the bed with a mug and bucket, just to save from exerting myself by walking to the sink. Now I realise when you open your mouth for the brushing, your breathing lessen a bit, naturally of course but you will never notice this if you are healthy. Oh, for the joy of NOT noticing your body!

Dr Kana called my sis. Advised to postpone China trip. Thinks I am too weak for air travel.

Mr Wong & Dr Yong came in the evening. Did acupuncture meridien massage & Qi; immediate relief. Can she stay on...like on & on?

Fri 27 May
Saw Dr Kana & Dr Selva at NCI Cancer Hospital. See previous blog. Went there with oxygen tank in the car as I was on it all the way there and back. Went home and our oxygen tank went kaput at home. Luckily Dr Selva has mentioned that NCI do provide oxygen apparatus.

Called NCI to arrange the rental of their oxygen supply apparatus. Sis and Mr Wong only found time to to there late at night, and only came back past midnight with the new apparatus. Thank you so much both of you for such effort, and NCI for providing such a service so late at nite! I like this hospital,man.

This is a new oxygen supply thingy; not a tank but a machine that takes surrounding air and concentrate the oxygen. Good invention and cheaper in the long run.

During my 4-hour check-up at NCI, sis called Dr Yong if she could come down from Cheras to see me in Seremban. She agreed and arrived in the afternoon. She came to check on me and did the routine acupuncture and Qi.

Thurs 28 May
The Mega-Breathlessness hits.