Thursday, December 15

From within

It is time for difficult decisions...

The latest valley is reason for pause. My oncologists have presented treatment options for this relapse:

For the lung:
Iressa everyday until my current stock is exhausted (I got 2-week supply, then access situation; if the pleural effusion persists, then commence chemotherapy for the lung. I am going to NCI on Monday to have another x-ray to check the pleural effusion. I have asked Dr Kana to tap the fluid away if they persists. He recommended an ECHO scan to check my heart first for the breathlessness.

For the backpain:
Intravenous medication Zomecta for the bone metastatis to replace Bonefos.

I am accessing these options in consultations with Dr Pang too. But the final decision lies with me.

A lot of thoughts churn within me these few days. If you remember my November blogs on death and dying , I am in peace with death. What I want is easy death and peaceful dying.
And addressing cancer is a very expensive affair.

I would like to stop taking Iressa and other conventional medication. They are just too expensive and I think money can be put to better use. It's not like these therapies can cure my metasized non-small cell lung cancer.

I have to weigh the possible side effects, benefits and the survival rates of going thru these therapies...and of course, the costs. I have did a quick research on the survival rates of those who took the conventional path such as chemo, compared to those who uses herbs, and the survival rates do not differ much, albeit quality of life skews more towards those eshewing conventional path. Of course, I know different individuals may differ in their responses.

Moreover the possible side effects from chemotherapy were burned too deeply into my psyche. I have to do a mind transmutation to be confident that chemo will help in healing with minimal or no side effects.

How long can one's finances keep up? I think the window of relatively good health they have given me is sufficient. I am grateful for that.

I am at a crossroad.

I would like to concentrate on healing from within. I want to use qigung, diet and psychological measures for the rest of my healing journey.

One may say I am giving up.On the contrary, this decision to go au naturel takes lots of time and commitment. Compare doing qigung and managing your emotions to popping pills or lying on the bed with chemo flowing into you. So far I have combined oral conventional therapies such as Iressa with "esoteric" therapies like qigung, now I want to discard the conventional therapies.

It is really a big step into the relatively unknown.