Saturday, March 18

12 March 2005

Tests confirmed cancer cells in the pericardium effusion on 3rd March 2005. But only after a biopsis on a nodule in my right lung, my official diagnosis was dated 12 March 2005. So I am still alive and kicking after that official one year; barely after that Thursday! I made it past the one year.

Let me quote from the fact sheet of the American Lung Cancer Association:
About 6 out of 10 people with lung cancer die within 1 year of being diagnosed with the disease. Between 7 and 8 will die within 2 years. The expected 5-year survival rate for all patients in whom lung cancer is diagnosed is 15 percent compared to 63 percent for colon, 88 percent for breast and 99 percent for prostate cancer.

The 5-year survival rate is 49 percent for cases detected when the disease is still localised. However, only 16 percent of lung cancer cases are diagnosed at an early stage. For metasized tumors like mine the 5-year survival rate is just over 2 percent.

I can only say everyday is a sweet sweet sweet Bonus Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home