Thursday, February 23

So be it

Had a CT scan at NCI today. The results showed the tumour increasing in both lungs, more so in the left. Nearly 2/3 are solid tumours while 1/3 are fluid. Bad, but hardly surprising because the physical evidence; breathlessness and lethargy have been increasing.

Dr Selva and Dr Kana laid out the option; chemotherapy. It's not really an option actually. Both doctors said the time has come to do chemo. I asked how long would I suffer before I die if I choose not to do it? Dr Kana said I won't die immediately but will suffer immensely with more invasive procedures to relieve the symptoms.

He mentioned that a successful response to chemo would prolong my life for a year or more. I didn't say it out then but was thinking if it's another year like last year, it is not an attractive proposition!

You all know the fear I had of chemo, the sideeffects and stuff. Dr Selva told me the possible side effects but he said no patients had died on him or Dr Kana because of their chemo presciption. And for me, it's been a long time since I first read about and fear chemo.

I just agreed that ok, let's do it. I said that I have tried so many things; radiotherapy, surgery, herbs, supplement, diet and many others, that guess it's time to try chemo. I will just let go. What ever will be will be. In a talk given by Chief Reverend Dr K Sri Dhammananda, he said that when asked by his oncologist did he has any side effects from chemo, he replied that he only had the full effects! Que sera sera.

So on the 9 March I will be admitted to NCI, stay overnight because the chemo will be administered for 24 hours, discharge next day and come back the next day for the third cycle.