Friday, February 17

All bases covered

My latest blogs about preparing for death brought lots of reactions and emails from readers. Thank you very much for your concern. I do share your anxiety.

I have to reconcile between being an optimist and "know" that I will pull thru in the end, and seemingly giving up and to be preparing for my death.

I have blogged about attending the London Olympics in the year 2012 here, here, and here. How can I be so confident about that while preparing for death?

Personally I am also afraid that all these preparation will distract me from the 100% effort to heal myself. Will all these death business chip away whatever confidence I have? Shouldn't I be gung-ho and confident of the end result come what may? I have to admit that I am not 100% confident.

But I guess that is natural, but at the same time I don't want to nor do I fear death. As my blogs on 11 Nov 2005 shows, death is but a unfairly neglected part of life. I want embrace birth, living and death as part of the continuum. I will try my best to learn and extract whatever from this ailment, share them with you, and if I succeed in my effort, that would be a great triumph for me and other cancer patients who think their particular life here and now is too good to end just yet.

If I die because of cancer, well, at least I go with peace, and not clinging and suffering for what I think I will miss in this life. As someone who believes in the main tenets of Buddha's message; this life is but one. And London Olympics 2012 is 6 years away; if I die now and be reborn into something/someone else, I may still be in time to savour the London Olympics, but maybe in another form or person! haha :)

But we all die eventually; either from a long slow painful lingering death or sudden split-second fatality. Preparing for death is, I believe eases the mind from an inevitable fact of life. And think of the angst of your family if they are not physically, financially and mentally prepared for your death. Let's do everyone a favour, prepare for death, yet prepare to give your best for living.

Can this be done? I want it to be so.

Openly preparing for death is not giving up, but I am doing my duty as a son, brother, nephew, uncle and friend to prepare you guys for my death. I know it may be hard for many of you, my dear friends, to worry about this latest move, but you will overcome it eventually as you become more familiar with the thought. As I said in this Nov blog , I would like you to gaze upon my supreme serenity as I lay there in the casket, you can't help but smile when you recall our times together! :)

So here it is:
I am able to give my 100% best to heal simply because I have already removed a major worry.