Friday, May 13

Miss Yeoh Lay Hoon

"The Year Three student of SJK (C) Wen Khai not only looks after her four-year-old brother but also her cancer-stricken father while juggling time for her studies."

The Star and several Chinese newspapers highlighted Yeoh's plight and readers have responded positively.

“We have received cheques and pledges from the public, and so far more than RM10,000 has been raised,” Chai said.

Her mother left the family shortly after her brother was born and two weeks ago her father was diagnosed as having liver cancer.

Lay Hoon told reporters on Wednesday: “I have no time to miss mama. I used to cry a lot when she first left but now I am too busy taking care of my father.”

Chai said a meeting to set up a committee to manage the fund would be held today.

Wong's Bayan Baru MCA division service team and the Bayan Baru Lions Club will manage the fund.

Bayan Baru Lions Club president Goh Eng Ho, who will head the committee, said the trust fund would be used for Kim Cheng’s medical expenses and the children’s education.

Goh said he would donate RM3,000 to kick off the fund.

Those who want to help the family can contact Chai at Tel: 04-6468808."

...please help her. I will be doing my bit.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/5/13/nation/10939910&sec=nation
http://thestar.com.my/news/archives/story.asp?ppath=\2005\5\12&file=/2005/5/12/nation/10918382&sec=nation