Wednesday, December 7

7 Dec 2004

7 Dec 2004. The morning after. I woke up in the ICU. Still coughing.

The doctor not sure what was wrong. The doctor said he need drain the fluid from my right lung. Not sure if he applied any local anasthetic. He poked a small metal tube (ard 1mm diametre) into the right side of my back to access the lung. A rubber tube connects to the metal tube.

He must be very good because I don't feel a thing. He asked me to breathe deeply to push the fluid out. It was over in a few minutes with nearly 1 litre of clear liquid drained into the glass canister.

That's was it. I spent the next few days in the ICU, with daily blood taken from the wrist - ouch..that's painful. Remembered nurses bathing me nearly everyday..hehe

On the 10th was moved to a first class room. The doctors pronounced that all is well with the pericardium and the lungs. The fluid didn't return. The doctors said I am still coughing because of the remainder fluid in the pericardium.

I was discharged on the Saturday 11th. Went to stay with Gloria and family till Monday. Had great Malaysian meals by Gloria.

That was my first brush with my cancer. I was still oblivious of the immensity of the crisis. I thought it was just a very bad chest infection. It was only on 3 March 2005 I found out it's cancer.

Thanks to all who helped me thru this 1st crisis. I were to meet more good samaritans along my healing journey...