Friday, June 17

Seek first to understand II

I went to the bookstore at Brickfields Buddhist Vihara. As I was paying for the books, a bespectacled middle-aged lady asked me something in Mandarin which I don't understand. She then asked "You didn't eat?"

I presume she is refering to my emancipated condition. I said I am not well and have cancer. She then launched into unsolicited advice about fighting cancer. She asked what treatment or therapy I am on, so I explained.

It seems like everything I do is wrong, she is contemptous of all my effort to regain my health. She would then give her recommendations which she considers are much superior than mine, and she made it clear that she thinks they are so. I grew more agitated with her obnoxious manner that finally I just got up and walked away.

She was quite taken aback and talked to a nun, who were attending me,about me walking away. She also made a remark that I don't have to read so much. I just say "Thank You" to her and walked away.

I think she shouldn't spend more time sitting at the bookstore counter, she should spend more time on Metta meditation and cultivate her compassion and empathy.

May she be well and happy...